Friday, July 15, 2005

some more thoughts

I forgot to talk about some stuff last post.

Every night, we have a thing called "family time" with the kids. We sing songs, we give a short encouragement, and we talk in groups for a few minutes.

I did the encouragement a few days ago about my time in chinese class. I talked about how hard it was for me, but I kept doing it because i had a class and teachers that kept pushing me. I told them about the awesome support they gave me in going this summer. I think that's the coolest thing i learned in communications this year- learning is a social process. I told them that yes- English is hard, but I told them that it's something they have to all come together and finish as a community. I told them that your dreams are not impossible if you pursue them as a community.

But then in group time, all of that seemed so hopeless. We talked about what their dreams were and what they wanted to become when they grew up. There were some awesome responses- the blind kid Jeremiah just growled "MASSOUSE" and immediately started rubbing his friend's arm. But with all of them, there was a sense of hopelessness in them. They have no idea how they'll survive after the orphanage. This community here at the orphanage is so awesome- they all look out for eachother and they stick together. The wheel chair kids help out the blind kids. It's broken people helping one another. But after this- the real world. Even if they weren't disabled or orphaned- there is no class mobility here. Once poor, always poor. Farmers will always be farmers. Factory workers will always be factory workers. I felt naive and over optimistic in saying they could achieve their dreams if they "only tried".

But then I guess I have to just grasp that hope in the father- that he would raise these kids up to do great and mighty things.

The kids have been opening up a lot more lately- we asked them about their parents the other day. some of them just simply got lost shopping and got picked up by the police. Others ran away. The deaf mute kid just kept talking away in sign language. It was pretty crazy.

anyways, please keep communicating with dad for me. I think i might be coming down with a cold, but we prayed it out pretty well. Alright, i gotta teach guitar in 10 minutes. catch you guys later.

oh yeah- these are some pictures from our photographer's xanga

No comments: